LEARNING & POLICY CENTER
Exceptional resources and expertise for an unprecedented crisis
The Impact of the American Rescue Plan on the First Responder Community
Join experts from Lexipol’s grants division for a roundtable discussion on how the American Rescue Plan will affect public safety and how to advocate for your agency’s needs.
Resilience expert Mike Taigman explains how stress affects first responders and provide strategies you can use to manage during the long haul of this pandemic.
National EMS attorneys Doug Wolfberg and Steve Wirth and NAEMT President Matt Zavadsky address how EMS agencies need to adjust documentation procedures for COVID-19.
Lexipol co-founders Bruce Praet and Gordon Graham talk with attorney Laura Scarry and Chief Ken Wallentine about COVID-19 issues such as enforcing stay-at-home orders and protecting officers from exposure.
Courses & Policies
Policies & Guidance
- PPE Use Procedure (Law Enforcement)
word | pdf
- COVID-19 Interim/Departmental Directive Framework (Law Enforcement)
word | pdf
- COVID-19 Interim/Departmental Directive Framework (Corrections)
word | pdf
- Communicable Diseases – Inmates Policy (Corrections)
word | pdf
- Emergency Staffing Policy (Corrections)
word | pdf
Coverage & Analysis
- What cops need to know about the COVID vaccine right now [Podcast]
60 million Americans have currently had at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine – here’s why cops should consider joining that number
- Firearms training after COVID-19 shutdowns
It’s time to get officers back on the range to dust off their marksmanship and weapon-handling skills
- COVID-19 vaccine safety: Answering FAQ and dispelling myths
The development of highly effective vaccines against the COVID-19 virus is an astounding feat of scientific innovation
- Research: How calls for service changed after COVID-19 lockdowns
Study reviewed how 18 common types of calls changed in 10 large U.S. agencies
- Life after COVID: 6 ways to fail to learn
The clarity, consistency and credibility of internal messaging was particularly important during this event
- Why you should consider online education during COVID-19
If you have any downtime due to quarantine or shift schedule changes, consider taking classes online – here are some pointers to finding the right program
- How to maintain jail operations during the COVID-19 pandemic
Jails must continue to fill a vital role within the public safety and criminal justice realms while battling the coronavirus
- Why proper jail management should not be forgotten during a pandemic
Calif. Sheriff Don Barnes addresses current issues regarding custodial operations in jails as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to unfold
- COVID-19 variants: What first responders need to know
Learn about the differences between each strain, how transmissible they are, and what they mean for local communities
- Zavadsky, Ludwig and Lawrence: Treatment in place hurdles [Podcast]
NAEMT, IAFC and AAA leaders discuss vaccine hesitancy, PPE fatigue and treatment in place legislation
- ‘This illness changed me’
A frontline ED and EMS physician recounts his experience with COVID-19
- 1 year later: Looking back at how the fire service navigated the COVID-19 crisis
Marking a full year since the pandemic declaration, we recognize all that firefighters have endured – and how we can persevere
- Can EMS emerge from the pandemic stronger?
- While COVID-19 cases have surged, EMS run volumes have dwindled as people are legitimately scared of going to the hospital
- Family re-entry: Tips for giving your best to your loved ones
4 simple questions to improve first responder family relationships
- Proactively expanding the EMT and paramedic scope of practice
Some agencies have responded to the COVID-19 pandemic by implementing concepts that have been discussed for years
- EMS chaplain support during the pandemic
In an especially stressful time, EMS chaplains are finding creative ways to offer emotional, psychological and spiritual support
- Time-traveling to remember your pre-COVID-19 priorities
Don’t let the current crisis destroy your previously identified individual goals and departmental priorities
- Quiz: COVID-19 facts, patient care guidelines and response steps
Test your knowledge of COVID-19 best practices and up-to-date information
- How can I protect my family from COVID-19?
When working from home isn’t an option: a checklist for reducing the risk of transmitting exposure after returning from a shift
Visit our digital media communities for up-to-date coverage
COVID-19: Working Together, We Will Defeat the Enemy
with Gordon Graham
Remarkable things happen when Americans come together.
Eighty years ago, we were a nation at war, marshalling our resources, our imaginations and our courage to fight the Nazis.
In this inspirational message, Lexipol co-founder Gordon Graham says it’s time for war once again–this time against a disease we do not yet fully understand. Working together, he says, we can defeat this enemy just like we did 80 years ago.