Terms and Conditions
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Definitions. For purposes of this Agreement, each of the following terms will have the meaning indicated in this Section:
- Agency’s Account. “Agency’s Account” means the account by which Agency accesses the Subscription Materials.
- Agreement. “Agreement” means (a) the cover sheet to which these General Terms and Conditions are attached, (b) Exhibit A (Subscriptions Being Purchased and Subscription Fees) attached to that cover sheet, and (c) these General Terms and Conditions.
- Initial Term/Contract Year. “Initial Term” means the twelve-month period commencing on the Effective Date and “Contract Year” means each twelve-month period commencing on each anniversary of the Effective Date, except as may otherwise be modified by Section 2.1 Term below.
- Derivative Work. “Derivative Work” means a work that is based on the Subscription Material or any portion thereof, such as a revision, modification, abridgement, condensation, expansion, or any other form in which the Subscription Material or any portion thereof may be recast, transformed, or adapted. For purposes of this Agreement, a Derivative Work also includes any compilation that incorporates any portion of the Subscription Material. Further, “Derivative Work” includes any work considered a “derivative work” under United States copyright law.
- Effective Date. “Effective Date” means the date specified on the cover sheet to which these General Terms and Conditions are attached.
- Subscription Materials. “Subscription Materials” means the policy manuals, supplemental policy publications, daily training bulletins and other materials provided by Lexipol to Agency from time to time during the term of this Agreement under the subscriptions purchased by Agency as specified in Exhibit A.
- Term and Termination.
- Term. This Agreement is effective upon the execution and delivery of this Agreement by both Lexipol and Agency, and shall continue in effect until the expiration of the Initial Term; provided, however, that the term of this Agreement will automatically be extended for successive one-year periods thereafter (each a Contract Year), unless either party gives written notice to the other party to the contrary not less than thirty (30) days prior to the expiration of the Initial Term or the then current Contract Year, as the case may be. Notwithstanding the foregoing, however, this Agreement will be subject to termination as provided in Section 2.2 below.
- Termination. This Agreement may be terminated by either party, effective immediately, (a) in the event that the other party fails to discharge any obligation or remedy any default under this Agreement for a period of more than thirty (30) calendar days after it has been given written notice of such failure or default; or (b) in the event that the other party makes an assignment for the benefit of creditors or commences or has commenced against it any proceeding in bankruptcy, insolvency or reorganization pursuant to the bankruptcy laws of any applicable jurisdiction.
- Subscription Fees, Etc.
- Subscription Fee/Invoicing. Lexipol will invoice Agency at the commencement of the Subscription Service (Initial Term) and thirty (30) days prior to the date for each Contract Year (refer to 2.1 above). Agency will pay to Lexipol the subscription fee specified on Exhibit A within thirty (30) days following Agency’s receipt of the invoice for such subscription and renewal fees. All invoices will be sent to Agency at the address for Agency specified on the cover sheet to which these General Terms and Conditions are attached. All payments will be made to Lexipol at the address for Lexipol specified on the cover sheet to which these General Terms and Conditions are attached. Lexipol reserves the right to increase pricing for subsequent Contract Years.
3.2 Taxes; Past Due Amounts. All amounts required to be paid under this Agreement, unless otherwise stated on Exhibit A, are exclusive of all taxes and similar fees now in force or enacted in the future imposed on the subscriptions purchased by Agency under this Agreement and/or delivery by Lexipol to Agency of Subscription Material, all of which Agency will be responsible for and will pay in full, except for taxes based on Lexipol’s net income. In the event any amount owed by Agency is not paid when due, and such failure is not cured within ten (10) days after written notice thereof from Lexipol, then in addition to any other amount due, Agency shall pay a late payment charge on the overdue amount at a rate equal to the lower of (a) one percent (1%) per month, or (b) the highest rate permitted by applicable law.
- Copyright; Derivative Works; Lexipol’s Ownership. Agency acknowledges and agrees that the Subscription Material is a proprietary product of Lexipol, protected under U.S. copyright law, and that Lexipol reserves all rights not expressly granted in this Agreement. Subject to the terms and conditions contained in this Agreement, Lexipol hereby grants Agency the right to prepare Derivative Works, except as limited by the terms of this agreement; provided, however, that Agency acknowledges and agrees that Lexipol will be the sole owner of all right, title and interest in and to all Derivative Works prepared by or for Agency, including all copyrights and other intellectual property and proprietary rights therein or pertaining thereto, and Agency hereby assigns and transfers to Lexipol all right, title and interest in and to all Derivative Works prepared by or for Agency, including all copyrights and other intellectual property and proprietary rights therein or pertaining thereto. Agency will not remove from any copies of the Subscription Material provided by Lexipol to Agency any copyright notice or other proprietary notice of Lexipol appearing thereon, and shall include such copyright and other notices at the appropriate place on each copy of the Subscription Material and each copy of any Derivative Work made by or for Agency, in any form.
- Right to Use; Limitations on Use of Subscription Material and Derivative Works. Subject to the terms and conditions contained in this Agreement, Lexipol hereby grants to Agency a perpetual, personal, fully paid-up, right to use, except as limited by the terms of this agreement the Subscription Material and any Derivative Works prepared by or for Agency, solely for the Agency’s internal purposes. Agency will not use, copy, republish, lend, distribute, post on servers, transmit, redistribute, display, in whole or in part, by any means or medium, electronic or mechanical, or by any information storage and retrieval system, any Subscription Material or any Derivative Work prepared by or for Agency other than as expressly authorized by the immediately preceding sentence. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Agency will not import, upload, or otherwise make available any Subscription Material or any Derivative Work prepared by or for Agency into or onto any third party knowledge, document, or other content management system or service without Lexipol’s prior written consent. The foregoing does not, however, prohibit or restrict Agency from providing Subscription Material or Derivative Works prepared by or for Agency pursuant to an order from a court or other governmental agency or other legal process, or Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, or Public Records Act (PRA) request, nor does it prohibit or restrict Agency from displaying the adopted/approved final policy document on a publicly accessible website for official Agency purposes, so long as Agency includes the appropriate copyright and other proprietary notices on such final policy document as required by Section 4 above.
- Account Security. Agency is solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of Agency’s user name(s) and password(s) and the security of Agency’s Account. Agency will not permit access to Agency’s Account, or use of Agency’s user name(s) and/or password(s) by any person or entity other than authorized Agency personnel. Agency will immediately notify Lexipol in writing if Agency becomes aware that any person or entity other than authorized Agency personnel has used Agency’s Account or Agency’s user name(s) and/or password(s).
Agency acknowledges that Lexipol may provide view-only access and summary information (including but not limited to, status of number of policies developed or in development, percentage of staff reviews of developed policies, and percentage of DTBs taken) to the Agency’s affiliated Risk Management Authority, Insurance Pool or Group, or Sponsoring Association, if they are actively funding their member Agencies’ Subscription Fees.
- Policy Adoption. Agency hereby acknowledges and agrees that any and all policies and Daily Training Bulletins (DTBs) included in the Subscription Material provided by Lexipol have been individually reviewed, customized and adopted by Agency for use by Agency. Agency further acknowledges and agrees that neither Lexipol nor any of its agents, employees or representatives shall be considered “policy makers” in any legal or other sense and that the chief executive of Agency will, for all purposes, be considered the “policy maker” with regard to each and every such policy and DTB.
- Disclaimer of Liability. Agency acknowledges and agrees that Lexipol its officers, agents, managers, and employees will have no liability to Agency or any other person or entity arising from or related to the Subscription Materials, or any act or omission by Agency or its personnel pursuant to, or in reliance on, any of the Subscription Materials.
- Limitation of Liability. Lexipol’s cumulative liability to Agency and any other person or entity for any loss or damages resulting from any claims, demands, or actions arising out of or relating to this Agreement or the use of any Subscription Materials shall not exceed the subscription fees actually paid to Lexipol for the use of the Subscription Materials under this Agreement during the twelve-month period immediately prior to the assertion of such claim, demand or action. In no event shall Lexipol be liable for any indirect, incidental, consequential, special, or exemplary damages or lost profits, even if Lexipol has been advised of the possibility of such damages. The limitations set forth in this Section shall apply whether Agency’s claim is based on breach of contract, tort, strict liability, product liability or any other theory or cause of action.
- Non-Transferability. The subscriptions and rights to use the Subscription Material granted by this Agreement are personal to Agency and Agency shall not assign or otherwise transfer the same to any other person or entity.
- Confidentiality. From time to time during the term of this Agreement, a party may be required to disclose information to the other party that is marked “confidential” or the like, or that is of such a type that the confidentiality thereof is reasonably apparent (“Confidential Information”). The receiving party will: (a) limit disclosure of any Confidential Information of the other party to the receiving party’s directors, officers, employees, agents and other representatives (collectively “Representatives”) who have a need to know such Confidential Information in connection with the business relationship between the parties to which this Agreement relates, and only for that purpose; (b) advise its Representatives of the confidential nature of the Confidential Information and of the obligations set forth in this Agreement and require such Representatives to keep the Confidential Information confidential and to use it only as permitted by this Agreement; (c) keep all Confidential Information confidential by using a reasonable degree of care, but not less than the degree of care used by it in safeguarding its own confidential information; and (d) not disclose any Confidential Information received by it to any third party (except as otherwise provided for herein). Notwithstanding the foregoing, however, a party may disclose Confidential Information of the other party pursuant to any governmental, judicial, or administrative order, subpoena, discovery request, regulatory request, or Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, or Public Records Act (PRA) request, or similar method, provided that the party proposing to make any such disclosure will promptly notify, to the extent practicable, the other party in writing of such demand for disclosure so that the other party may, at its sole expense, seek to make such disclosure subject to a protective order or other appropriate remedy to preserve the confidentiality of the Confidential Information. Each party shall be responsible for any breach of this Section by any of such party’s Representatives.
13.1 Governing Law. This Agreement shall be construed in accordance with, and governed by, the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law doctrine that would cause the law of any other jurisdiction to apply.
13.2 Entire Agreement. This Agreement embodies the entire agreement and understanding of the parties hereto and hereby expressly supersedes any and all prior written and oral agreements and understandings with respect to the subject matter hereof, including without limitation any and all agreements and understandings pertaining to the use of the Subscription Materials by Agency. No representation, promise, inducement, or statement of intention has been made by any party hereto that is not embodied in this Agreement. Terms and conditions set forth in any purchase order, or any other form or document of Agency, which are inconsistent with, or in addition to, the terms and conditions set forth in this Agreement, are hereby objected to and rejected in their entirety, regardless of when received, without further action or notification by Lexipol, and shall not be considered binding on Lexipol unless specifically agreed to in writing by it.
13.3 Headings. The captions and other headings contained in this Agreement are for convenience only and shall not be considered a part of or affect the construction and interpretation of any provision of this Agreement.
13.4 Counterparts. This Agreement may be executed in any number of counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original but all of which together shall constitute one and the same document.
13.5 Amendment. No amendment, modification, or supplement to this Agreement shall be binding unless it is in writing and signed by the party sought to be bound thereby.
13.6 Attorneys’ Fees. If any action is brought by either party to this Agreement against the other party regarding the subject matter hereof, the prevailing party shall be entitled to recover, in addition to any other relief granted, reasonable attorneys’ fees and expenses of litigation.
13.7 General Interpretation. The language used in this Agreement shall be deemed to be the language chosen by the parties hereto to express their mutual intent. This Agreement shall be construed without regard to any presumption or rule requiring construction against the party causing such instrument or any portion thereof to be drafted, or in favor of the party receiving a particular benefit under the Agreement. No rule of strict construction will be applied against any person or entity.
13.8 Notices. Any notice required by this Agreement or given in connection with it, shall be in writing and shall be given by personal delivery, by certified mail, postage prepaid, or by recognized overnight delivery service to the appropriate party at the address of such party stated on the cover sheet to which these General Terms and Conditions are attached, or such other address as such party may indicate by a notice delivered to the other party in accordance with the terms of this Section. Alternatively, electronic mail or facsimile notice is acceptable when acknowledged by the receiving party.
13.9 Invalidity of Provisions. Each of the provisions contained in this Agreement is distinct and severable and a declaration of invalidity or unenforceability of any such provision or part thereof by a court of competent jurisdiction shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision hereof. Further, if a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision of this Agreement to be invalid or unenforceable, then the parties agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties’ intention as reflected in such provision to the maximum extent possible.
13.10 Waiver. Lexipol’s failure to exercise, or delay in exercising, any right or remedy under any provision of this Agreement shall not constitute a waiver of such right or remedy.
End of General Terms and Conditions